Tuesday, July 15, 2008

money is your statement of priority

Heard this today at OneStar's non-profit capacity building workshop.

True.

Take a look at your monthly bill. Where do you spend your money? Food? Entertainment? Book? Who spends your money? You? Your children? Your parents?

What are my priorities in life? Do they reflect on how I spend my money?

If how I spend money is my statement of priority, then charitable contribution definitely falls out of any priority list.

What does that have to say about me?

It was probably the summer of 1998 or 1999. It was an important summer in my life. My father had just passed away that year and I started volunteering with Tzu-Chi at their Houston chapter. It was the big flood of the Yellow River that summer I think. I was asked to join their fund raising activity in China town area. Dynasty Mall was my assignment. I watched how others did it then I approached my first "customer" To my surprise, people gave money! That was such an enlightening moment for me. After that, donating money to charity became something I do. Prior to that, I was always suspicious about people's motive. When I saw how complete strangers would give money to me (not to "me" per se but still) I was moved by their generosity. Looking back,it is hard to imaginethat such a small event could have such a big impact on me.

If how I spend money is my statement about my life's priority, I think I need to seriously re-think about what are important in life.

What is your priority?

No comments:

sitemeter