Thursday, August 7, 2008

day 7 - get down to the water

Oh, Yes, I finally made it to the water. The building is built directly off the coast and there is not much sandy area between the gate and the water. The waves come up almost to the gate. I took a picture of my feet while sitting at the small sandy area. The weaves are strong; they come and go and sound loud. I put down my camera and get into the water.

When I look down from above, it does not seem like a big deal. But when you actually get into the water, the ocean seems vast, even more so than when you are upstairs. Without anyone else around and without any life guards, you are on your own.

It is you and the ocean.

I thought I would swim laps but the idea seems silly somehow once you are in the water. I am a little scared and do not want to get too far from the gate. So I sort of swim back and forth just in this very small area. Again, looking from upstairs, everything seems close. But when you are in the water, everything seems very distant.

I finally made it to the water. I will do so daily until I move out of here.

Went to school to see Malia about purchasing a laptop. Nice group of people. Drop off TB document for Bev. Ran into Peter. He took me to this place called Fisher - a warehouse that sells cheap stationary and furniture. I bought a mash chair. It is $160 and I think that is a reasonable price. Now I am sitting on it and I know the problem immediately - after sitting on the seat for a while, it gets hot.

This morning I was watching NBC. Matt Lauer is in Beijing doing Olympic special. The screen said "live" and I was calculating the time difference. Then it daunted on me that the morning news was aired a couple of hours ago. Hawaii residents watch the taped version. Nothing live about it.

No comments:

sitemeter