Friday, August 8, 2008

day 8 - google map rocks!

One of the first things I learned when I arrived in Hawaii is that google map is amazing! When you zoom into the street view, it actually provides bus information. Once zoomed in, you can see the bus stops indicated on the map, in this case, the blue landmark is my apartment and there are some bus stops within walking distance




if you click on the bus icon, google map will bring up a dialog box that shows the different buses that stop here, with some basic information about the bus and their upcoming departures - this is cool... and if you click on the link that reads “upcoming departures”





(cont. fr previous) you actually see the upcoming schedules for all buses that stop at this location - I don't know how acturate the information is but this is cool




but that is not it.. say I want to go to the temple. I locate the temple on the map, and I can click on the blue landmark






then I can get directions by entering my apartment address






here comes the cool part - from the left side, I select “by publuc transit” from the dropdown box. Wa-la, I got route information of how to take bus from orgin to destination. In this case, bus #2 takes me directly from my apartment to the temple!



of course if you need transfer, google map is intelligent enough to tell you so as well. In this case, I will need to transfer one bus to go to school. No big deal, google map tells me to transfer to bus #4 off Hukio street






No comments:

sitemeter